Jim Cogswell: Cosmogonic Tattoos

Previous page
Next page
Next page

Constraints

All of my artistic decisions are constrained by the materials that I use and the context they will inhabit. Like a poet with a verse form, wedding myself to craft is a contract with making. Material constraints are a form of inheritance...

Gelatin silver prints (contact prints from cliché verre negatives on mylar with ink) 2016-2017

More »

Constraints

All of my artistic decisions are constrained by the materials that I use and the context they will inhabit. Like a poet with a verse form, wedding myself to craft is a contract with making. Material constraints are a form of inheritance. The weight, shape, color, surfaces and spaces that come through other hands to me have their own histories, their own borrowings and internal logic. Constraints are an acknowledgement of collective realities and expectations that we all share. Material constraints give me responsibilities that I must tend to, duties that keep me busy enough to be surprised when unintended consequences emerge unexpectedly. My research is not driven purely by the rational, the will or the intellect. It emerges from a constantly shifting balance of conscious and unconscious elements that cannot be entirely controlled or predicted. In all of my experience as a maker, the constraints are where the creativity is born.

Less »

Figurine
Arch