Jim Cogswell: Cosmogonic Tattoos

Previous page
Next page
Next page

Kelsey Museum Windows

Since this project’s inception I have been swept up by a passionate curiosity about material fragments from collapsed societies, supplementing my research at the Kelsey with further research in archaeological collections around the world. I have become engrossed in readings in archaeology, anthropology, and material culture...

More »

Kelsey Museum Windows

Since this project’s inception I have been swept up by a passionate curiosity about material fragments from collapsed societies, supplementing my research at the Kelsey with further research in archaeological collections around the world. I have become engrossed in readings in archaeology, anthropology, and material culture, and have had my thinking realigned by discoveries within them. I have read books and articles by colleagues in these disciplines. I have invited them to my studio to discuss my work and make suggestions for further research. I am studying the literature on architectural ornament, and have sought the guidance of colleagues in architecture to understand current debates. Having spent my adult life in stark modernist environments, I must invent for myself what it means as an artist to ornament a building, how that process differs even from site-specific painting and installation.

Less »

Kelsey Museum windows

Scroll right to view more »